Recently we got to connect with filmmaker Michael Llewellyn to ask him a few questions about his experience with WSFF and filmmaking. We hope you enjoy this insight into his work!
Who are you? (where are you from, where do you live, why did you get into film, whatever you want to tell us really)
- For 25 years I worked as a national print media photographer. My clients were New York magazines, record companies and ad agencies. I currently work as an art activist creating art programming that addresses specific community needs.
How many films have you had in the festival?
- I have had one film accepted to the festival.
When was your first Wild & Scenic?
- The first Wild and Scenic that I attended was 13 years ago.
How many times have you attended?
- I have only attended one but I was invited to MC (?) a few screenings in 2020.
What makes Wild & Scenic Film Festival special or unique?
- The festival wouldn’t be special if it wasn’t organized by SYRCL.
What inspires you to make films? What are your favorite stories to tell?
- I have only made one film that was a 2 minute animation. It was created to support fire ecology curriculum for the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District. This was the first story that I’ve told.
How have you been impacted by Wildfire?
- The only impact of wildfires so far is having my car packed for evacuation for 5 months per year for the past three years.
What inspired you to make this film?
- The film wasn’t the result of inspiration but a practical need to tell a story simply. However, the inspiration for the narrative came from a 1970’s chevron commercial and a few favorite comic panels by R.Crumb.
Do you have any projects you are currently working on?
- I am currently developing a cultural/ecological trail that will have 12 stations around Lake Tahoe. It’s intention is to reframe the history of the Tahoe Basin from an economic history to an ecological history.
How has COVID impacted your filmmaking?
- COVID has had no impact on my work whatsoever.
Filmmaking is a laborious job, so what keeps you motivated?
- I’ve only made one film which I wrote and directed. Since I hired out the animator, it was only a pleasure to create. My motivation was a deadline and educating children.
What are you currently reading/watching/listening to?
- I am currently reading Winners Take All The Elite Charade of Changing the World.
What is on the horizon for you in 2022 and beyond?
- Directing a public engagement program in West Nevada County to support forest restoration efforts.